V-Day's Turning Pain To Power Tour -- DO NOT MISS this opportunity -- Feb 23rd Carter Center
Happy V-Day 2009!
This year, over 4,000 V-Day benefit events are taking place in over 50 countries and all 50 of the United States! Between February 1 and April 30, 2009, these events will take place in communities, high schools and on college campuses all over the world, from Argentina to Australia, Germany to Guatemala.
Each V-Day event will raise awareness about the rampant and brutal violence against women taking place in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), and V-Day's efforts to end it through the V-Day and UNICEF global campaign Stop Raping Our Greatest Resource: Power To The Women and Girls of the DRC.
Support V-Day, Attend an Event in Your Community:
V-Day 2009 benefit productions of The Vagina Monologues, A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and a Prayer, and other licensed works are occurring around the world from February 1 - April 30th. Visit events.vday.org to find an event near you!
V-Day's 'Turning Pain To Power Tour' Kicks Off!
New York and Los Angeles Events Receive Tremendous Response
V-Day's five city 'Turning Pain To Power Tour' launched to a sold out audience at the 92 Street Y in New York City on Wednesday, February 11. The night, introduced by UNICEF Executive Director Ann Veneman, featured Eve's in depth and poignant interview with Dr. Denis Mukwege from the Panzi Hospital the DRC. Through this public interview, Eve and Dr. Mukwege exposed femicide and the sexual torture of women in the DRC, and relayed the stories of women survivors on the ground who are coming together and breaking the silence. View Images >
Other New York events included:
- A welcome dinner for Dr. Mukwege hosted by Eve. View Images >
- A meeting of male activists to develop our upcoming V-Men Campaign. View Images >
- A private reception hosted by Harry Belafonte, Peter Buffett, Eve, Donna Karan, and David Stone at the Urban Zen Center/Stephen Weiss Studio to raise funds for V-Day's work in the Congo. View Images >
- A meeting between Eve, Dr. Mukwege and Ban Ki-moon, the Secretary General of the United Nations, who committed to visiting Panzi Hospital at the end of February to see for himself the impact of sexual violence on Congo's women and girls - a huge victory!
- A special session with ambassadors at the International Peace Institute, including the UK Ambassador John Sawers, and other UN officials from Uganda and Rwanda who are key stakeholders in the region surrounding Congo. Eve and Dr. Mukwege lobbied them to use their clout to bring about a political solution to the crisis in Congo so that the sexual violence ends and women are protected by MONUC, the UN's peace keeping forces. They also stressed the importance of women being part of the peacemaking process.
Los Angeles was the next stop on the tour where V-Day hosted its third annual LA Luncheon hosted by Jessica Alba, Eve Ensler, Anne Hathaway, Sherry Lansing, Paula Wagner and V-Day Board members Carole Black, Ilene Chaiken, Rosario Dawson, Linda Pope, and Kerry Washington at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills. Guests included Charlize Theron, Maria Shriver, Maria Bello, Camryn Manheim and Dylan McDermott, and the event raised awareness and funds for V-Day's Congo Campaign, bringing the issue to the Hollywood community as well as the national and international press. View Images >
Check out the press coverage -
The following night, on V-Day February 14, the University of Southern California's 6th annual V-Day benefit production of The Vagina Monologues included special guests Eve and Dr. Mukwege giving an in depth discussion with the student audience about issues facing women in the DRC, and how they can help end the violence. V-Board member Rosario Dawson was on hand to introduce the two speakers. View Images >
The tour now travels to San Francisco's Herbst Theatre as part of City Arts & Lectures "Art & Politics" series. V-Day supporters can purchase a fundraising package that includes tickets to Eve and Dr. Mukwege in conversation at City Arts and special post event reception at Jardiniere Restaurant in San Francisco with Eve and Dr. Mukwege. Limited space is available; tickets range from $250 - $10,000 and are ON SALE NOW at www.vday.org/sf
For tickets to the City Arts lecture only, visit http://www.cityarts.net/n.mukwege.html
Eve and Dr. Mukwege will then travel to Atlanta for an in depth conversation at The Carter Center, with a special introduction by V-Day Board member Pat Mitchell. Tickets are $35 and are ON SALE NOW at www.vday.org/atlanta.
For two days only, as a special discount we are able to offer tickets at $20 - ON SALE NOW, go to www.vday.org/atlanta-discount
The talk will be preceded by a special reception at 6:00pm hosted by V-Day Atlanta, V-Day Board Member Pat Mitchell, and Jo Edwards, Karyn Greer, Ayesha Khanna, Vikki Locke, and
Laura Seydel in the Cyprus Room at the Carter Center. Tickets for the
reception start at $250. Buy Tickets HERE >
For the full 'Turning Pain To Power Tour' itinerary, event and tickets information, please CLICK HERE.