Organize a V-Day Event
SAY IT, STAGE IT
Stage a V-Day Benefit Event in 2017! Activists worldwide are planning their 2017 V-Day benefit productions of The Vagina Monologues and/or A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer. The two artistic works will be available free of charge to registered activists hosting benefit productions solely during the month of February. By focusing the benefit performances during one month - February - we maximize the impact. For more information on the 2017 season, read the announcement here.
Each year, thousands of V-Day benefit events take place produced by volunteer activists in the U.S. and around the world. These efforts have raised consciousness, changed laws to protect women and girls, funded rape crisis centers and domestic violence shelters (in many cases these much needed funds kept them from closing), educated their communities, and raised over $100 million in urgently needed funds for groups doing the essential work of ending violence and serving survivors and their families.
In 2017, we are shining the Spotlight on Violence Against Women In the Workplace. Read more about the Spotlight here.
For the first time, we are inviting directors to assemble a cast of performers that is made up of least one third of women workers and curate new testimonies from women workers to be include their stories in every V-Day production. In addition to a piece being written by Eve, these testimonies (we suggest 1-2 minutes each, and a total of three) of real incidents of workplace violence in your community, read on stage by the woman herself (or by an actor if requested) will make up the spotlight section of each V-Day event around the world.
For detailed information about purchasing rights for performances in other months, please visit http://www.eveensler.org/plays/the-vagina-monologues/
"Probably the most important piece of political theater of the last decade."
- Charles Isherwood, The New York Times
THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES (benefit performance)
Available in February
Performance requests outside of February:
In the US or CA, ENGLISH productions.
In all other countries, for ENGLISH, email email@example.com
In all other countries, in native language, email firstname.lastname@example.org
The award-winning play is based on V-Day Founder/playwright Eve Ensler's interviews with more than 200 women. With humor and grace, the piece celebrates women's sexuality and strength. Through this play and the liberation of this one word, countless women throughout the world have taken control of their bodies and their lives. For more than a decade, The Vagina Monologues has given voice to experiences and feelings not previously exposed in public and brought a deeper consciousness to the conversation around ending violence against women and girls.
A MEMORY, A MONOLOGUE, A RANT AND A PRAYER: WRITINGS TO END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN & GIRLS (benefit performance)
Available in February
A groundbreaking collection of monologues by world-renowned authors and playwrights, edited by Eve Ensler and Mollie Doyle. These diverse voices rise up in a collective roar to break open, expose, and examine the insidiousness of violence at all levels: brutality, neglect, a punch, even a put-down. The volume features such authors and topics as: Edward Albee on S&M; Maya Angelou on women's work; Michael Cunningham on self-mutilation; Dave Eggers on a Sudanese abduction; Edwidge Danticat on a border crossing; Carol Gilligan on a daughter witnessing her mother being hit; Susan Miller on raising a son as a single mother; Sharon Olds on a bra; Patricia Bosworth on her own physically abusive relationship; Jane Fonda on reclaiming our Mojo; and many more. It is available for you to present as a reading, and includes pieces by and for men. We encourage men to register to host readings in conjunction with MenRising events.
For additional supporting events and information, click here
Where do V-Day Events Happen?
COMMUNITY You are a member of a community theater group, a non-profit organization, a community member and will be presenting your event/s in a community rental space.
COLLEGE You are a college student, faculty member or are otherwise directly affiliated with a college or university and will be presenting your event/s in a venue on campus. (***IF YOU ARE A COLLEGE GROUP, BUT MUST PERFORM OFF CAMPUS, PLEASE CHOOSE THIS OPTION AND ANSWER RELEVANT QUESTIONS DURING THE APPLICATION PROCESS.***)
When May I Organize a V-Day Event?
All V-Day benefit events are required to be hosted within the month of February.
How do I Register to Organize a V-Day Event?
REQUIREMENTS FOR HOSTING YOUR EVENTS
Failure to adhere to these rules will result in V-Day's rescinding permission for you to present a V-Day event.
- Performances should happen in February only. Any performances in other months must purchase the rights. Please visit http://www.eveensler.org/plays/the-vagina-monologues/ for information about performances in all languages.
- You must register for the rights to host ANY V-Day event.
- You must work collaboratively with the other V-Day events in your area. We will put you in touch with one another.
- Organizers & all supporting teams should NOT be paid. (Union technical staff contracted by venue are the only exceptions.)
- Charge an admission fee for your production unless given special permission by writing to campaign(a)vday.org
- Keep production costs down. Donation goal should be 87 cents of every dollar.
- You must choose a LOCAL organization working to end violence against women & girls (as outlined in the beneficiary guidelines) NOT a large national or international NGO.
- Include your beneficiary in your activities, outreach and publicity.
- Only 1 organizer is approved for each event.
- We require an active email address that can be shared publicly.
- For MMRP: Consider a beneficiary that is working with men and boys in ending violence against women and girls.
- Your venue must coincide with your group affiliation (college, community or high school) unless otherwise approved by the Directors of the Campaigns. (campaign(a)vday.org)
- Use ONLY the 2017 version of the scripts for your event. NO books or previous scripts are authorized.
- No edits are allowed to monologues or introductions AT ALL.
- No additions to the scripts are allowed.
- FOR MMRP ONLY: Choose between 5 & 10 monologues, but do not edit the monologues themselves.
- Do not reproduce any scripts for any purpose other than V-Day events.
- All V-Day events should not exceed 90 minutes.
- Maximum of 3 performances. No exceptions.
- Performances should be done without intermissions.
- A minimum of 5 people in any performance. No maximum & we encourage you to include as many people as possible. No one should be turned away from participating in your event in some capacity.
- Strive for diversity of all kinds.
- FOR MMRP ONLY: Include men as performers in the pieces written by men.
- FOR TVM ONLY: No cisgender male actors, but please include & encourage their involvement in other elements of your production. (We suggest using the following guideline to determine who "qualifies" to take part as an actor: People who lead their lives as women are eligible to perform in your production. This includes individuals who were born with a vagina and transgender individuals. Trans men and trans women are welcome. We leave it to you to make the casting decisions for your individual production. If you would like any help with this issue, please feel free to write to campaign(a)vday.org.
- You must use your correct event title, as it appears on the top of your V-Spot login, in all publicity.
- You must adhere to 'Identity & Social Networking Guidelines' provided on the V-Spot.
- Absolutely no excerpt performances of any plays for promotional purposes or otherwise.
- Your official event name will be: V-Day [your college/city name/youth group] "The Vagina Monologues" or "A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and a Prayer" 2017.
- No filming of events beyond 3-minute publicity limits outlined in "Publicity" section of the V-Spot.